Thursday, April 30, 2009

Transfusion #5

I posted last night on our CaringBridge page, but I thought I would update here as well. Bailey had a good day and we got to visit with Jessica who spent the day with us down at Hoppykins. When we got there, I got to review her labs, which were lower than I expected...bummer. She had seemed so energetic lately and her color seemed good as well, so I was thinking maybe just maybe she was keeping good hemagobin levels and maybe making some cells. Spontaneous remission is not common, but hey, it happens, and I can hope, right? So anyways, her hemaglobin was lower than it was last time, 7.6, with a hematocrit of 22.5. So they gave her 124 ccs of blood instead of 90 ccs to hold her over a little bit more until her next transfusion 4 weeks from now. That meant we were there a little longer than usual, which made for a long day. Since Bailey had gotten a little bump on her arm last time after the transfusion which they thought might have been a hive, they gave her benadryl before her transfusion, so she took a few catnaps throughout the day. She kept trying to eat her IV transfusion cord but luckily those 6 teeth of hers didn't puncture the line...can you imagine?!?! She peed her pants so that's why she is sans pants in the picture, ha ha. Dr. Strouse answered more of my questions and day by day, I feel like I process more of the thought of her steroid trial (starting in July most likely). Ugh, I hate all the side effects but hopefully she can get to a low enough dose that has minimal effects.

Anyways, Monday at 8am is her bone marrow biopsy/aspiration. She can't eat or drink after midnight so it might be a long early morning, ha ha. Please be praying for an easy procedure and that I won't worry too much. Thanks again for all the love, support, notes, and prayers!

Paging Dr. Jess.......

That's my girl, after her refill!
(rockin' her Polo shirt and diaper---aww yeah, stylish!)

"Aunt Jessica" and Bails hanging out at Hopkins

No comments: