Saturday, June 29, 2013

Umbrella...ella...ella

Ok, so I hate cloudy days, rainy days, and being cooped up! BUT, I also love outings with my girls and teaching them to LOVE and SERVE others! So, as I was driving home from work a few weeks ago during an unexpected torrential downpour, I couldn't help but notice people waiting for buses, just standing in the rain soaked. I had an idea. Project "You can stand under my umbrella" was born. Thanks Rihanna. I went home, gathered extra umbrellas from our coat closet and emailed friends and family asking for umbrella and poncho donations! Then we stashed the bounty in our car and waited for the next rainy day. I talked to Bailey about the plan and she was on board, and rehearsed singing "you can stand under my umbrella...ella...ella" for when she handed out umbrellas. Two days ago, the rains came. In the car girls. We didn't have to go far, as we drove out onto York Rd and saw a man waiting for a bus in the rain. A quick U-turn later and Bailey was handing a bright yellow umbrella out her window to the surprised man. She giggled with delight as the man thanked her. As we drove away, Bailey shouts, "Mom there are more people, turn around!" Approaching the same bus stop was a woman and her teenage son. We had to make a detour through neighborhoods to get back around to the bus stop. When we got there, the man was standing under the yellow umbrella holding it so that it covered the woman and her son as well. Heart warming. We gave them an umbrella and poncho and continued our umbrella project for a little while longer when the rain stopped. It gave us a chance to talk about how we can help others AND got us out of the house. Two birds, one stone...and a few umbrellas.

The last poncho...

Sooo, anyone have an extra umbrellas they can donate? I know we'll be having many more rainy days this summer.


1 comment:

Betsy said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!